Rimini, the old town and the new Square on the Water
Do you miss the town and its historic center? We recommend a walk in the center of Rimini with a visit to the new “Piazza sull’Acqua” (Square on the water), and a walk to Borgo San Giuliano, crossing the bridge.
A bit of history
Rimini was founded by the Romans as a colony under Latin law in 268 BC, on a pre-existing settlement built between the Ausa and Marecchia rivers. Having become an important road junction, it was promoted to Municipality and registered with the Aniensis tribe in 90 BC.
Caesar Augustus Octavian paid particular attention to the town: The best-known interventions concern making monuments of the main entrances to the urban center (Arch of Augustus - Tiberius bridge). In the 4 th century, the town retained its importance so much so that in 359 AD it was the seat of a Council called by Emperor Constantius II. At the center of the Goth-Byzantine war in the 6th century, it became part of the Byzantine maritime Pentapolis, before falling into the hands of the Longobards.
From the 8 th century, it belonged to the domains of the Church. Its municipal autonomy was recognized in 1157 by Federico Barbarossa and by the Pope. It belonged to the Malatestas from the end of the 13 th century to 1500, then to Cesare Borgia and the Venetians. In 1509, it returned under complete
ecclesiastical jurisdiction, which ended in 1860 with a referendum that sanctioned the annexation of the town and its territory to the Kingdom of Italy.