Rimini and its Historic Palaces
Podestà Palace | Piazza Cavour
Built around 1330 as the residence of the Lords of the town of Rimini, the building underwent considerable renovation work in the 16th century and its current features were dictated by restoration work carried out in the early 20th century. The ground floor has three, frontal Gothic arches and a rope for hanging criminals once dangled from the central one. On the embattled upper floor there are five smaller windows.
Arengo Palace | Piazza Cavour
Construction work on this embattled Romanesque-Gothic building began in 1204 under the Podestà Mario dé Carbonesi, as a place where people could hold assemblies and meetings. It underwent renovation and restoration work in 1562, 1672 and from 1919 to 1923. In the portico below the building, where notaries once placed their desks and justice was administered, is the large stone on which insolvent debtors were condemned to slap their naked buttocks three times as punishment.
Alessandro Gambalunga had it built in 1610. Later he bequeathed it to the Commune and the library in 1619. It is one of the most ancient and important public libraries in Italy.
It was built by architect L. Carducci according to Serlio's plan in 1562 ; the building is named after Francesco Garampi who rebuilt it in 1687. It is hosting the Municipality's offices.