Hamlet of San Clemente

The hamlet of San Clemente dates back to the Malatesta era and its origins are still clearly visible today.

As they did in the past, the Malatesta walls enclose the heart of the historic center and the complex known as Castelleale, a few km from the village.

It is one of the rare extant examples in the Rimini area of a building that is both a large farm and a fortified villa, built in 1388 by Leale Malatesta, bishop of Rimini.

The partial destructions and rebuildings during the following centuries have profoundly modified the original structure which, however, reveals its clear medieval origin to the attentive and expert eye.

The only road that cuts through the historic center reaches Piazza Mazzini, and the Parish Church, the Town Hall and the entrance gate with the Civic Tower from the Baroque era overlook it; there is a plaque on the tower dedicated to the poet Giustiniano Villa, one of the fathers of the dialectal poetry of Romagna.

There are so many things to see once you arrive in San Clemente.

Built in 1836 on the fourteenth-century church of the friars of which some traces still remain inside, the Church of Saint Clement houses a canvas by Giovanni Battista Costa, an interesting eighteenth-century painter from Rimini, depicting the Holy Family. The high altar is made of scagliola with the statue of Saint Clement. The chapel on the right is dedicated to the Crucifix, the one opposite to the Holy Family. Under the presbytery there is a cistern called the "well of the Friars" dating back to 1370.

The walls and bastions are Malatesta relics still present and well-integrated into the urban fabric of San Clemente. The walls with polygonal bastions enclose the center as they did in the past and provide its medieval identity.

June and July are months full of events devoted to the promotion of wine and good music.

San Clemente is a "Town of Wine" with numerous producers and its Sangiovese wine, which has obtained several DOC certifications here. The varieties are remarkable due to the different positions and characteristics of the soils in which the vines grow: from the highest ones overlooking the sea to those on the clayey lands closest to the river.


A bit of history

Recently, San Clemente has undergone restoration together with the remains of the Fortress with polygonal towers, built by Sigismondo Pandolfo, Lord of Rimini. Information about its "Castrum" dates back to 962 when Ottone I gave it to the Counts of Carpegna.

Tranquility and peace reign in this hamlet which was not too strongly subjected to the struggles among seigneuries and was able to enjoy, thanks to its position, a certain intimate serenity, which led it to get control of the middle valley of the Conca, although in opposition to Montefiore and Saludecio.

Several country hamlets maintain interesting medieval and Renaissance traces.

Worth noting are the beautiful hamlets of Agello and Castelleale, a few kilometers from the center. Today the village, in addition to having a flourishing agricultural activity, is decisively aiming towards the food and wine offer as well as initiatives to safeguard traditions.